First post on le blog :D

So here I am - creating a blog about flying trapeze (and circus arts in general). If you had told me I would do this a year ago I would have laughed hard! However, life takes unexpected twists and turns and here we are.


Let me tell you a little about myself (if anyone ever reads this blog)
I am a 31 (gasp) year old dancer who currently resides in NYC. I am from Norway but after visiting and studying in NYC I decided that this is the place that I need to be. And after a couple of years (and lots of $$$) I was finally approved for an O1 visa in 2016. This is the so called "artist visa" or "Extraordinary abilities" visa and it lasts for three years. Then you have to reapply (dreading that). After moving to NY, I got certified to teach AntiGravity - a form of group fitness which utilizes a hammock to hang upside down in, flip around and do lots of fun exercises. It almost does not feel like working out! I love being in the hammock and when a theatre company that I have worked with as a dancer and choreographer in the past was producing a new show in March this year, they needed an aerial hammock performer - you did not have to ask me twice! Long sentence - sorry. Since it would have to be a single point hammock which is different than the double point we use for AntiGravity. So off to class I went - I took a few classes at Aerial Arts in NYC which introduced me to some of the different ways I could utilize this type of hammock and I was able to rent an aerial point there to rehearse and choreograph the routine for the performance.

The performance was an amazing experience and it really got me hungry to learn more aerial skills like silks and lyra. I tried a few different classes and decided that silks and hammock would be the apparatus I wanted to concentrate on. And then my friend Michelle (who once took my AG class and I then again met taking Hammock class at Aerial Arts) posted a video of her doing flying trapeze at Streb in Brooklyn. And it looked like so much fun! I decided I needed to try it and signed up for a class. I thought it would be a once in a lifetime experience because really - what would I use this for anyway? Right? But... here we are about six months later and I am still flying. It is really the best feeling in the world and at this point I can not imagine my life without it. I will keep posting things about the process of learning this (or trying to) and other fun things that happen sporadically. This blog is really more for myself to verbalize the things I am learning and if someone else finds the blog interesting, that's great.

Here is a video from my first ever flying trapeze class

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first flying trapeze show!

Progress - it is indeed not linear